Friday, May 20, 2005

Armed Forces Day, Veterans Day, Memorial Day

I have to admit that being a veteran in todays US is much better than it was in the 70's but not as good as it was in the 40's. In my mind anyway. I spent 9 years in the Navy, doing just about every job from scrubbing toilets, moving aircraft and watching people pee for my government. I have been a jailer, a secretary and a heavy equipment operator. My favorite job was 'drunk on a barstool'. I spent the better part of my first enlistment in Europe having a grand old time. Spain and Crete mostly. Wow, I miss it a lot sometimes. I reenlisted there because if it was all like that, why not stay in?!?! Well that was the end of that, as soon as I signed on the dotted line (again) I got shipped back to the states and on to the adventure I was promised in the elistment propoganda. Who knew Florida could be so... so... fucking humid!?!? I only spent 4 months there, then off to California to join an aircraft carrier. By far the best command I was attached to. Best men and women I ever served with on active duty were there. The best people ever were in the SeaBees and whenever I say I was in the navy I say I was a SeaBee and its a whole different, and more respected, perception of my service.

Since I got out of the service I always take Veteran's day off, I earned that for sure. It's not like I take MLK day off just because I share his skin color...

To all the past, present and future service members; I give a tall salute to you all. You are my brothers and sisters. Good luck and get home safe.

No comments: