Monday, October 02, 2006

Tell me a story...

When I was dating a lot, I would fill in lulls in the conversation with that statement. The conversation would go something like this:

SP: Tell me a story.
Date: What kind of story?
SP: Tell me about that scar. (because almost every guy has a scar that has a great story behind it)

I would ask for this story to check two things; If they were a good story teller who could bring me along on the bike/skateboard/skis that caused the scar, and to see if they have been adventurous in their lives and have the scars to prove it. I have a few great stories for a couple fun scars to tell if I get the same request.

I have met some great story tellers who involve their whole bodies and hands and really make the whole story something that is funny and fun to listen to. I have a friend who is so good at the hand gestures when he is telling a story, I have used them in my own. Where some people will point their finger to their head like a gun, a good story teller will add the sound effects or even jerk their head back to make the whole thing more real. A great story teller will then add the hand at the other side of their head indicating the splatter that would happen. I love story tellers like that.

1 comment:

Heather Anne Hogan said...

I love it when really good story-tellers do different voices for different people. It's always so funny to hear people imitate their mothers.