Thursday, June 15, 2006

I LOVE MY CATS!

So, when HHBL and I first started talking about buying a house, I told him that I had to have at least two kitties, if not 3. He did not grow up with furry animals as pets. He had a parakeet at one point, always wanted an African Grey.

So, in talking with our friends about this, we found out that one of them was looking to rehome their year old white cat named Kimba. I knew Kimba and loved this very cool cat and agreed immediately to adopt. So, we brought Kimba in the first week and in a couple more weeks, we adopted a second cat from the shelter I work at. This one is Urqwin (of course the Q is silent). Urqwin is a tortoiseshell calico, and quite the character.

I had mentioned that a third cat could be fun, but I really don’t want to upset the resident kitties. It's been 2 years now, and I am nervous that a third cat now would really wreck havoc on the balance we have with his cat and my cat. Since I work at a shelter, I had to put some limitations on myself. It has to be all black, with green eyes and a great personality. That keeps me from bringing home a new cat each week. I don’t really say anything else about it until I see a kitty that is close to meeting those criteria. Well HHBL has said it is my decision whether to bring a 3rd cat home, but he keeps bringing up how much fun a new cat would be.

I can see why people keep having kids.

I love cats, more than anyone should. I love their independence and their personalities that are more like snobbery than anything. I love how soft they are, I love that Urqwin will always curl up at my feet when I fall asleep, always on the window side no matter which way I am turned. She used to lie across my face when we first brought her home. She also used to curl up on top of us when we spooned. Kimba was a very cool cat right from the get go. He was the perfect first cat for HHBL. That is definitely his cat. He will seek out wherever HHBL is and make sure he is there too. He also has this really cool meow that is very wise and soulful.

Can’t even express how much I love my cats. I am a little afraid that this is displaced maternal adoration as I don’t have nor will I have children.

Doesn’t matter, LOVE THEM!

No comments: